Kitty Lambi - Library Technician
Britannica Image Quest
Access more than two million rights-cleared images from over 50 of the best collections in the world.
Free For Use Images
Citing Your Sources
The Violence of Mexican Drug Cartels
"An infographic is defined as a visualization of data or ideas that tries to convey complex information to an audience in a manner that can be quickly consumed and easily understood."
(From The Power of Infographics, Mark Smiciklas)
Tips for Creating a Powerful Infographic
- An infographic is designed to PERSUADE. Write down your main point and choose everything in service of that point.
- Everything you include must be critical to your main point. LESS IS MORE.
- Infographics are a visual art - consider the focal point, the rule of thirds, balance, shape, etc.
- Great infographics make the complicated - uncomplicated.
- MAP IT OUT FIRST. Get a pencil and paper and map out the flow of your inofrmation. Consider how you will break up and visualize your main points.
- OFFER A FRESH PERSPECTIVE. Good infographic design doesn't just take data and visualise it with pie charts and bar graphs. Anybody can do that with a copy of Excel or Numbers.
- MINIMIZE the words. The whole idea of the medium is to communicate ideas with shapes, graphs, diagrams and pictures. If you have to explain your infographics then your infographic isn't doing its job.
- Finally, do your RESEARCH and CITE your sources.